For my 2nd-to-last Cleanse Month-inspired Vegan Recipes collection, I want to talk about the amazing slow cooker spinach tomato soup that I just made. It’s Friday and a nice, hearty pasta is exactly what I’m craving right now. I’ve made homemade Italian tomato sauce before but it takes a while. Now that I love experimenting with my slow cooker, though, a tomato sauce just seemed like the perfect next choice.
I wanted a nice, chunky sauce. Something that would be hearty and still vegan, instead of adding a bit of cheese like I did last time. I opted for onion and a bunch of spinach to give the simple tomato sauce a little something extra. Then I made sure to put in plenty of garlic and a nice amount of herbs.
Doesn’t that look yummy? I let the flavors stew for a good long while. Then, to taste, I just started with a little faux pan de tomato (or a cheese-less bagel pizza) and had a bite.
Mmmm so delicious. Now I’ve just gotta put it on a pasta for what’s sure to be a fantastic meal.
Slow Cooker Spinach Tomato Sauce
Yield: 6 cups; Prep: 15 minutes; Slow Cook: 30 minutes on High, 15 hours on Low
A hearty marinara tomato sauce is easy to make with a slow cooker, since you can leave the house while letting the flavors stew. Serve it with your favorite pasta immediately or freeze it for later.
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 large white onion, sliced
- 2 tablespoons vegan cream cheese
- 1 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 tablespoon oregano
- 1 tablespoon rosemary
- 1 tablespoon onion powder
- 1 tablespoon parsley
- 2 tablespoons dried basil
- 2 (1 lb) cans of peeled plum tomatoes
- 1 (13 1/2 oz) can chopped spinach, drained
- In the slow cooker, coat the bottom with olive oil, then put in the onion, vegan cream cheese and spices, mixing it thoroughly. Set it for 30 minutes on High.
- While that’s cooking, take a can of peeled tomatoes and put them in a blender. Blend it well, or until the tomato mixture is fully liquified. Repeat with the 2nd can.
- Once the onion mixture is done, add in the 2 cans of blended tomatoes and drained spinach. Set the slow cooker to 15 hours on Low and let it cook through.
- When the slow cooker turns off, the sauce is ready. Mix it and serve on top of your favorite pasta.