When I was walking around the farmer’s market, I wasn’t sure what I was really looking for. But I’ve been on a serious soup kick lately after having made baked potato soup and curried eggplant soup in the past month. When I saw these candy onions, my mind immediately gravitated to the delicious full texture of French Onion Soup. I bought them immediately and took them home.
But when it came time to actually make the soup, I decided that I wanted to make something lighter than a classic French Onion Soup. I didn’t want to use a beef broth since I try to aim for eating vegetarian (particularly when I’m cooking) and I didn’t want the extra calories of the thick piece of bread drenched in cheese.
The only thing that I knew I wanted was to make it in my slow cooker. Maybe I’ve become addicted or something, but I really enjoy how easy it is to do anything with it around.
I searched around for some guidance and found an easy to follow Slow Cooker Onion Soup recipe from A Veggie Venture. I used significantly less onions, though, so my soup came out very light and brothy. But, to be honest, I really like them that way. Here’s how I made it:
Chopping up the candy onions made my eyes water a little bit, but not too terribly.
First I had to just toss the onions into the slow cooker and let them begin to brown a little.
After about an hour, I added in flour and the rest of the seasoning and let it cook just a bit longer.
Then it was just about adding in the broth, thyme and bay leaves and letting it cook thoroughly.
When the soup was done, the gentle soft sweet smell of the onion mixed with thyme filled my house. I couldn’t wait to dig in and taste this very mild soup.
Slow Cooker Vegan Gluten-Free Onion Soup
Yield: 6 (1 1/2 cups); Prep: 10 minutes; Slow Cook: on High for 1 1/2 hours, on Low for 8 hours
This very mild non-bread-and-cheese onion soup is perfect if you want a great, simple starter to any meal. It’s lowin calories and also makes an ideal light lunch.
- 5 medium candy onions, chopped (or other onion)
- 2 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- 2 tablespoons Adobo (or other seasoning)
- 1 tablespoon sweet onion cane sugar (or other sugar)
- 8 cups water
- 4 tablespoon Better than Bouillion vegetable base
- 3 tablespoons garbanzo flour (or other gluten-free flour)
- 1 tablespoon dried thyme
- 1 teaspoon bay leaves
- Put the chopped onions, olive oil, 1 tablespoon Adobo seasoning and cane sugar in the slow cooker. Set it to cook on High for 1 hour, letting the onions begin to brown.
- Meanwhile, set the water to boil and add in your vegetable base. Cook it for about 10 minutes, stirring occasionally so that it turns into your veggie broth. Set aside.
- Once the hour is up, open your slow cooker. Add in the 2nd tablespoon of Adobo seasoning and the flour. Mix your onions thoroughly and set the slow cooker on High for 30 minutes.
- Finally, add in your vegetable broth, thyme and bay leaves. Set your slow cooker on Low for 8 hours and let it cook. Once done, serve on its own or with a piece of toast.